April 21, 2005

Dang ol' bright laptop screen

Well, if you didn't venture over to the Downloads page to check her out yet, there she is, Colleen! She's the newest character to grace the strip. This has ended up being one of my favorite comics, not only in the joke, but in the way the last panel looks...I had originally thought of just having Amanda shouting out the door in the same setting as the first two panels, but it's much livelier to have Greg and Rob out behind the bushes with their laptop screen glowing. It was fun trying to create the glow you see; the last panel actually was colored as usual in Photoshop, but has a translucent black layer over it. I cut out the areas I wanted to appear as glowing and softened their edges so the original color would show through. This makes it appear as these areas are glowing because they're much lighter than the darkened areas around them--the original file looks really cool. The effect is a little lost in this tiny comic, but I think it still came out pretty good!

Don't forget, this week's Caption This Picture contest is still going! It's not going very strong, though. Not too many entries...if at least a couple more people don't enter, I think I'm going to have to run it into next week, too. So come on, get in their with your best captions! It can't hurt to just enter!

No comments: