May 30, 2007

Henceforth...slightly different format for all comics!

In a move that probably should have been done long ago, I've decided that instead of releasing George comics as .gif files, they're going to be .jpg from now on. It's a double-edged sword but I think I've manage to be spared by both edges--the good thing is that with .jpg, the comics will look much "smoother," as they aren't limited to only 256 colors as .gifs are, which sometimes causes a "grainy" look, especially in areas where there are gradient colors.

What kept me from changing, though, was the fact that .gifs support transparency, which allows the webpage beneath the image to show through in some areas, notably the space between each panel of the comic. I thought it would look better if the comic integrated seamlessly into the webpage with the blue background showing through. Now, however, the new .jpg comics will feature a white background with a thin black border around it...and hey, I think it looks pretty good.

The comic file-sizes are bigger now, however...each one is going to be about 100KB, whereas before they were an average of about 70KB. Peanuts to those of you on broadband, but I'm sure it's going to put the squeeze on the dial-up population that's still left. Oh well...maybe this will finally push them to join the rest of the world in upgrading to broadband ;)

No comments: